top of page

Where's The Blight?

Updated: May 29, 2023

The Hayden City Council (HCC) and the Hayden Urban Renewal Agency (HURA) have been discussing the potential expansion of the HURA district by 10% (70 acres). The meetings have not been video taped by the city and the minutes have not been published as of yet, so the people of Hayden are in the dark about the proceedings.

As this potential expansion progresses, I just want to let you know what’s happening so you are not caught unaware by the lack of transparency and be left without a voice.

On May 1, I wrote to the Mayor and asked a series of clarifying questions about the potential expansion:

  1. If the Council decides to allow HURA to grow, am I correct in assuming that the chosen properties will have to be declared as deteriorated by the Council?

  2. Which definitions of deteriorated apply in our situation?

  3. Will we send out legal notices to the property owners before declaring them as deteriorated?

  4. What are some of the effects on a property being in the district?

  5. What will the base rate be of the new properties for taxes?

  6. Will there be a public hearing before declaring private property as deteriorated?

  7. If we decide to let HURA grow in order to fix intersections and purchase a park, will we be able to have a contract with HURA that limits them to doing just those projects on the property and nothing else?

  8. Also, as part of the process, can we have legal agreement with HURA that guarantees that they won’t request the use of eminent domain in Hayden?

  9. What is the process or timeline we are looking at for the whole 10% growth process?

The attached map shows HURA's current district (blue) and the areas that they are proposing to grow into (green with black circles). As part of the process, these areas would need to be declared as deteriorated (blighted) by the HCC.

Personally, I believe that giving HURA more property without accountability is not in the best interest of the people of Hayden. In addition, I cannot in clear conscience declare property as deteriorated unless I believe that it really is.

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know by writing me at


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page